Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Week Two!!!!


May 14th, 2012
Today marks the end of my second week in Mwanza, Tanzania!!!  So far things have been great!  I am really enjoying learning more about the culture and language and am feeling much more comfortable in my surroundings.  On the weekend I visited the Kittitimo Orphanage in Singida.  I had worked there previously and wanted to ensure the children that I am committed to building and maintaining our relationship.  It was a great trip and helped me adjust even more to my environment and getting around by bus, it was definitely not as scary as I initially thought it would be. 

Yesterday morning we had a meeting with APYN to discuss what we accomplished the previous week, our plan for this week, and our monthly agenda.  Last week, I spent time at two of the kitchens (Ebenezer and Buswelu) using a checklist to assess the overall condition of the kitchen and to spend time with the Mama’s.  Spending time at the kitchen seems to be a very important part of building an understanding of the unique dynamics of each kitchen and to form relationships with the Mama’s.  I learned a lot form doing this and am very impressed with the work that the Mama’s are doing.  I am interested in spending more time with the Mama’s and observing and documenting the process of the yoghurt production in each kitchen to compare the differences between them.  By doing this, there could be a more unified strategy of ensuring the quality of the yoghurt. 

My plan for this week is to travel to Nairobi, Kenya with the APYN marketing staff to source out possible packaging manufactures.  Finding the packaging has been an important goal for APYN.  I am hoping that we will be able to find the proper packaging resource so that the marketing strategies can expand.  I think traveling to Nairobi will be an interesting experience.  We are taking the bus which is supposed to be a 10 hour ride.  I will have to get my Kenya visa at the border upon arrival.  I feel positive that this trip will assist APYN in reaching their packaging goals.
As an intern, I am trying my best to figure out how to fit into the flow of the office and daily routine.  The staff have made me feel very welcome.  I am still trying to understand the dynamics of the office and familiarize myself with the organization.  I have felt the challenge of trying to figure out exactly how to fit in and my position as an intern but I know with time everything should start to feel much more comfortable.  Although I have only been here for two weeks, sometimes it feels like much longer.  I assume this means that I am feeling comfortable in my environment.  I look forward to adding updates about how the trip to Kenya goes. I feel positive that it will be a productive endeavour.  SAFARI NJEMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment